SCAR SWIM Arizona

SCAR SWIM Arizona

Wednesday 12 June 2013

Another Weekend, Another swim.

Time is marching on and another weekend is nearly upon us. With time goals are getting bigger. Yes, another weekend is nearly upon us and another swim. HOPEFULLY. I was a bit silly and did not book onto it before the cutoff date - which I did look for last week and could not see one. Anyway a plethora of emails and phonecalls and I am pretty certain that I will be able to be part of the starting line up. Procrastination, one of my better qualities. Pushing the boat ut a bit on this one. total distance to be done this weekend is 9 miles (14.5Km). This swim will be a bit different to my 10K a week and half ago. Yip, off to the ocean this time.Bblllaagghhh - memories of salt water come rushing back from the depths of my memory. I hate the taste of salt water, even more so that I hate cold water. Cue, a bottle of listerine.
 
On Saturday 15th of June, I will be leaving home at about 7 in the morning to head down to my old stomping ground - Dover Harbour - Many happy memories, some very emotional, were made here, and it is time to make a few more. Challenges will also be very different from my last recent swims. Salt Water, again BBllaagghhh!!! Could be very windy = waves. again memories of getting rolled over by them. I will float a lot better in Salt water, even with my reduced frame size. The cold will always be at the back of my mind and will have to stay there for the whole day, lets hope that it remains in its place. The biggest Challenge will be the staggered Races. I really do hope that the demons in my head will not destroy any thoughts of sleep on Friday Night.

My first Race will kick off at 9.15am and this will be a 5 mile (8Km) swim and I am expecting this will take me about 2 and a quarter hours. Then it will be out for a while, raid the local Macdonalds, then ready for the next 3 mile (4.8km) race at 1.30pm. This I expect to finish in about 1 hour 10 minutes. Then out again for more Macdonalds. Back in again 4.30pm for a final 1 mile (1.6km) to hopefully finish at 4.55pm. If all goes according to plan, I will become a Champion of Champions. whatever that means. I think the biggest issue with this kind of race will be the stopping and starting aspect. Breaking your stroke and then getting back into it could be challenging. But hey ho, who said Life was ever easy.

For those who want to come down and watch, the swim area is overlooked by a very nice Restaurant Hythe bay Fish Restaurant This has a lovely balcony overlooking the harbour, where, if you throw enough money at it, you can wyle away the day drinking wine and eating lots of food, and where we will be swimming. There is also a nice pier and promenade to go strolling along and for those a bit more adventurous. there is always a lovely walk along the cliffs to be enjoyed and then join me after the last swim. I am hoping that the Lovely british summer will come out to play and if it does then there is always the option for a picnic of the cliffs.

Training since last swim.
 
To be honest, not a hell of a lot. only having clocked up about 15km since my last 10km swim 10 days ago. So "suck it and see"  I have had other things to occupy my mind and time and also a  stint of babysitting my nephews for the weekend. I will manage it, as I usually do, I seem to be able to get by with very little training. Story of my life really, do just enough to get through. one thing I need to change moving forward. I am glad to report that there are no gripes with my body right now, shoulders in good order, hips good and all that remains is to "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming"

Fund-Raising
Been a very lean month and I do hope that people will take the time to click on the link below and makes sombodies life a lot happier. Any thing large or small makes a huge difference so Please take this opportunity to click below.

COMMITMENT to start, 
DISCIPLINE to continue, and 
DETERMINATION to finish. 
They are the 3 prerequisites to 
achieving your goals


No comments: