SCAR SWIM Arizona

SCAR SWIM Arizona

Monday 3 June 2013

An interesting and successful weekend.
Morning all on this fabulous Monday morning, sun out, coming off the back of a very good weekend, where I learnt a lot about myself and How truly blessed I am. Words cannot describe how much but  will endavour to do just that, THIS POST WILL BE QUITE PERSONAL. People think I do these swims for fun, and they are - after the event but, if what I go through in the lead up is FUN then you can bloody well have it.
This weekend I was signed up for the first substantial swim of my swim season and the emotions, the highs and lows that I went through were immense. The swim was due to be on Sunday morning and it was a 10Km river swim. Nothing too odd there then. I spent Saturday doing a small 1.5km with a waterpolo friend of mine. In my experience, waterpolo players eat us endurance swimmers for breakfast when it comes to speed. He is a veteran swimmer so a fair bit older than me but total respect to him. he really keeps me on my toes. But I also know if I want to give him a run for his money, just throw a few 500m sets in then he is finished.
The rest of the day spent at home not doing a hell of a lot, just chores around the house and watching a bit of  French Open tennis. In the evening I got all my stuff for the following day ready, went to bed at my usual time and this is where my demons came out to play. I so hate this about myself but do it over and over again.Every time I sign up for a swim, no matter how large or small, the same thoughts haunt me. I don't think I slept at all the whole night.

My mind going over the swim again and again and what could go wrong, 
- Whether I had done enough preparation? Have not done nearly as much training as I should have.
- Am I wrong not worrying about a feeding plan on a 10Km swim?
- Will my shoulder pack in half way through? Have had a few problems with it recently.
- Should I take pain killers?
- Will the cold get the better of me? considering my weight loss over the last 5 months
- Will I pick up a stomach bug in the river? After last years Thames race that I did this was a big       
   concern, with over 35% of the people geting serious stomach infections.

It was utterly infuriating. I KNOW I CAN DO 10KM IN MY SLEEP. even if I  HAVE TO slow my pace right down to protect my body, and just cruise it very slowly it is easily possible for me. This rubbish above really gets me down. I have it before every event, no matter what distance. this then puts me on a huge downer as I then get out of the bed with the thoughts that I have not had enough sleep and this now hijacks my mind and tries to bring me even further down.

Well, I got up out of bed ("woke up" would imply I actually slept). Furious with myself that I get like this EVERY TIME. My mind still overwhelmed by all the questions I had the night before. Got all my bits together for the day, got my wife out of bed, then headed to pick up few friends and head to the race start. Well, in this case finish. It was a point to point race so we parked at the finish and caught a bus to the start.

The Race.

Arrived at the race registration, registered for the event then headed to the Bus to get to the start. had some of my best and most die hard supporters with me. Got changed, had a photo opportunity with my supporters then headed to the pre race briefing. Me and 2 others in our budgie smugglers and enough rubber to float an aircraft carrier of the bottom of the ocean. We had the briefing and this swim is quite unique in that there are 4 stages and at the end of each stage you have to get out of the river and walk around wiers in the river. Organisers are not keen for us to body surf down the weirs to the lower level of the river. SPOILSPORTS!! Health and safety is a bugger in this place.
Then all the rubberised humans headed into the water whilst the three non rubberised swimmers waited till the end, no need getting in and cold whilst waiting for the start. There was a lot of comments of "respect", "nutters", "wow", even a bit of hand clapping  as we finally entered Then we were off.
Try as I might, to get rid of ALL the negative thoughts that permeated my mind, I could not! My stroke was laboured, clumsy, sighting way to often, breathing far to regularly - every stroke - and too high, trying to keep in clear water, Nothing was going right. My mental fight to calm down, slow my pace, focus was being lost and there was nothing I could do to stop it. One small, but very welcome consolation, was that I was leading the 2nd group of swimmers. Even the odd glimpse of my supporters was not comforting me. I was upset with myself, no - cursing myself, for being such an idiot.
Well, 26 minutes (1.9km) later my stroke was no more fluid than when I started, I got out at the first weir, had a 4 -5 minute walk around to the next section of the river chatting to Audra and Robin, My back ached, my groin was killing me. The one thing that was surprising was my shoulders were holding up.
Then I was back in,now there were about 4 rubberised humans and me that got back in together. Struggling with a multitude of negative thoughts and emotions. I thankfully managed to start putting all my doubts and fears to one side. slowed my pace down, started to lengthen my stroke, started breathing bi-laterally every 5 strokes. I stopped sighting every 3 -5 breaths and now began sighting every 20 -25. this did wanders for my back and groin, I was not now arching my back and stretching my groin every 3 -5 strokes. My head went down in the water - hence lifitng my bum and legs higher in the water. I became more streamlined and my pace increased.
This second leg was 3.5 km and I settled into a very good rhythmn, holding my own against the rubberised humans floating next to me, catching the group in front, This stretch just flew by and I was out again about 8 minutes ahead of what I suspected I would do it in. 
More supporters had arrived and it was so great to see them. On the 5 min walk to the next section, had a lovely albeit brief chat with some of them, I quaffed down half a banana and some flat coke.
Third leg now. 2.6km. Got straight back into my stride. with some more slight alteration on my stroke and breathing. This stretch of the river was noticeably more agricultural (smelt and sometimes tasted worse than the upper section) Thoughts about stomach bugs and focus on not swallowing water flooding to the fore of my mind. Still my stroke was good, underwater pull was powerful and legs kicking nicely. I  kept to the minimal sighting. My stroke now felt comfortable and much stonger.
This stretch was done again in a faster time than I had set for myself.
OUT again. Stock up on banana and coke. More supporters had now appeared and I strolled down the river with them to the start of the next leg. 1.5km to go. There were about 6 of us who got in and one of them was a relay swimmer - so just starting his swim. He was quick and started to pull away from me a bit. I was now well into my rhythmn, getting stonger and faster the further I went. - maybe it was the thought of food and beer at the pub which was drawing me on. I stopped briefly to wave at some new supporters that had arrived, my entourage was growing. After about 700m into this stretch I passed my relay buddy that left me at the start of this leg and was soon passing other swimmers that had been in front of me the whole way. Some who had started an hour earlier.
In just over 23 minutes I was at the end. I could have gone on for another 10km. Assited out by marshalls and having to scramble up a steep muddy bank I got to the top to be greeted by about 18 people who had given up a perfectly good day to come and watch me, I was speechless, which was a bit of a problem as I was very swiftly handed a phone by my brother. My parents were phoning from Africa to see how I had done. I was now surrounded by the most amazing group of friends anyone would ever want for.
I stood, or rather knelt down on the grass, my nephews hugging me. trying not to pass out, with my flat coke and bananas to revive me. I as completely overwhelmed  on so many levels and glad that I had done it and my overall time was 2 hrs 27min, a full 18 minutes faster than  my predicted time. This was a bit of an issue as some supporters were still arriving to watch me finish, only to see me out of the water already.  A lot of rubberised humans were coming up to congratulate me on an amazing swim. In my screwed up mind it was just another swim that I had completed and nothing amazing about it. I was just glad it was over.

Final details on my time and position are

My time 2 hrs 27 min 37 seconds
Winning time 2 Hrs 13 min 31 seconds
My position Overall, 10th out of 139 entries including relays
My category position 6th
I think I was the fastest non wetsuit
Down side I got beaten by 3 chicks and 1 relay team
After giving my medals to my nephews I headed for the showers on my own. I soon had to sit in the car park and cry my eyes out. Still completely overwhelmed and now, totally overcome with emotion (Dad, I blame you for this part of my personality) by what I had just done, but mostly by the amount of support that I have, believing in me when I so doubt my own abilities. Took a few minutes to compose myself enough to go and have a shower and get my stiff body off to the pub for a well deserved meal with my amazing friends. You all mean so much to me, words will never be able to convey this.

Monday morning now upon us, lactic acid subsided out my system, shoulders now only very slightly sore, back is in good shape, groin has no issues and gladly I have gotten away, again, with no stomach problems after a river swim

So what is Next?
I now need to start focusing on my next swim in two weeks. First thing I probably need to do is register for it. The champion of champions. Down in my old stomping ground - Dover harbour. A sea swim and total distance of 9 miles (14.8Km) split into 3 swims of 5 miles, 3 miles and 1 mile. I will be doing all of them so if you free on 15th June pop down to Dover and give us some support.
Sorry about how personal this blog is but it is the trials and tribulations of what I go through. I cannot vouch that it is the same for all endurance athletes. I may come across as confident and a very accomplished swimmer but the doubts I have are very real and play havoc with my mind.
Fund Raising still goes on and I have hit a bit of a lull so hopefully By people seeing what I go through to raise these funds might help them loosen their grasps on their purse strings.My Charity and their beneficiaries will be most appreciative.
Happy reading and I do so hope that you find this both entertaining and insiteful. Please comment and pass it around.

A quote to end as usual

I don't believe you have to
 be better than everybody else.
 I believe you have to be better than
 you ever thought you could be.
 
 

2 comments:

ZimHippo said...

testing this functionality

Anonymous said...

great Blog gumps