SCAR SWIM Arizona

SCAR SWIM Arizona

Tuesday 17 February 2015

77 days left

Where does the time go?

I am sure that when I last looked there was ages to go until I have to take on this little adventure. It seems that time disappears in my life and we are galloping through this year, but In my mind we still have ages to go. This may answer the question as to why I am the King of procrastination!!!  if it was not for the last minute - in my life  NOTHING would ever get done.

So where are we at?   Flights booked, Hotels - for the swim booked. Time in Philledelphia booked so we just have a few days in between to take care of. I have been told that I NEED to get this sorted and we are not going to go with Zimhippo normal modus operandi - just rock up and see what transpires - live by the seat of my pants - be spontaneous. If past history is to go by, this is a bit of a gamble. Some of the best times in my life have happened on the spur of the moment with no planning BUT, some of the most expensive ventures in my life have also happened due to this "take it as it comes Attitude."

Training

In the last two weeks I have been pretty consistent with my training. I am generally doing 3 - 4 days of gym pool training ranging between 4 -6 km then on the weekends I have joined up with the Nemes Nutters at Charlton Lido for a 6 - 8 km session. it is a great pool to train in and not too busy on a Sunday at 9 am. Can be a bit nippy getting from the changing rooms to the heated pool, but once in, it is nice and toasty.

last week at the Lido I managed to do 7.6 km and all my 1 km times were between 15 min 20 and 15 min 40. I did not feel at all tight around my shoulders when I finished and I was not out of breath at the end of each Km - good signs to me. This was all followed by a coffee and chocolate and then on the way home I worked on my nutrition. Being a supreme athlete (NOT), it is imperative to eat well. So on the trip home, My car just happened to find itself outside a couple of eating franchises. I now had to make the decision of Macdonals burger and Fries or Steak Pie, Sausage roll and crisps. The latter won and I tucked into a fully fat free - well, at least in my mind - steak slice and sausage roll washed down by coke and crisps. Who says I do not eat well?  If you ask most endurance swimmers, the food of choice will be Macdonalds burgers. the Greasier the better. At least after a really good set.

I then entered into a week where I was on call at work, Never something to look forward to, it really puts a spanner in the works when it comes to training. Albeit being on call, I did manage to sneak out and do some short sessions after work and on the way home. generally between 3 - 4 Km but only managed to do 3 times. I then snuck back to the Lido on the Sunday for a bit of a longer session. Joined up with the Nemes Nutters. I did my 500m warm up then into 4 x 1000m. This is where I had a bit of a breakthrough. 1st one was done in 15 min 40 seconds. followed by 100m EASY swim, whilst waiting for my fellow lane swimmers to catch up. Next one done in 15 min 23 seconds - 100m EASY. Third was done in 15 min 08 seconds - 100m EASY.  

Whilst swimming that Easy 100m, I thought, lets try and get Under 15 min per 1000m. bearing in mind, I do not think I have ever gone under the 15 min mark - in a 50m pool. I can regularly do it in a short course (25m) pool. If I have, it was MANY MANY moons ago. I let all the people in the lane know that I was going to give it a try. This way, when I come steaming up behind them, or swim over them they do not get too annoyed. they were all happy so off  I went. At the half way point I was 4 seconds ahead of schedule. at 900m I was 8 seconds ahead of my prescribed time. I put the afterburners on AKA started using my legs and finally came in at 14 min 48 seconds.

I had done it, My shoulders were a bit tight but not screaming out at me. I think I might have swallowed half the pool and may have coughed up a lung on the last effort but surprisingly I was not that out of breath. At this point I slowed it down a bit and just cruised the last Km before a warm down.

So that was one goal achieved and I was pleased with both the time and the speed at which I recovered. Another milestone that I have achieved this last week is too finally go below the 100kg Mark (220 pounds - 15.7 stone) Again I cannot remember the last time a scale read 99.6 kg when I poured my chassis on it. This has not really been a goal of mine but I am glad to be there. I just have to be careful not to slide out of the Obese category all together and into a normal BMI. With Britain now classing obesity as a disability, I might lose my right to a disabled parking badge. I would then have to walk at least an extra 200m to the shops!!!!.

This week I will be back into full training for the next 4 days and then I need to help my support crew get to grips with a kayak, and build on her knowledge of the vessel that she will have to sit in for 8 hours. My main focus is keeping her occupied supporting me rather than beating me with the paddle. I will need to devise a logbook for her and she will be taked with monitoring my every move.it will also give her the opportnity to work on her fitness for this event. I can tell you that kayaking 40 miles is no small undertaking. It can be pretty gruelling dependant on the wind and the waves so over the weekend I will be messing about ON the water rather than IN it. So, if anyone is near the river Wey, be afraid, be very afraid, ther will be a few hippos in the area.

Once again I would like to thank everyone who have helped put me on this amazing journey. Colins IT have been amazing in their support as have many other people who constantly offer moral and physical support, My training parttners - the Nemes Nutters. They are just that - NUTTERS - probably the reason I fit in so well with them. My travel Agent Rudi keyser, Support crew Audra. I am certain that there is a list far too long to mention who hae helped me along this route, helped me when I have fallen, kept me focused with words of encouragement or verbal pick me up. You are all amazing. I am jsut very priviledged to have you in my life.

Till the next post I wish you all well and I look forward to your support on facebook and my blog.

Thoughts of the Day

Don't give up what you want MOST for what you want NOW

No comments: