SCAR SWIM Arizona

SCAR SWIM Arizona

Wednesday 30 January 2013

United Kingdom Cold water Swim Championships

January the 26th and I found myself with a very rare situation. The weekend and nothing to do. I had meant to be working but my clients cancelled the day before so with No wife to annoy and not a lot to do I was at a bit of a loss.

The night before I had been communicating on the interweb with Someone I did not even know, whom I found out was going to The Championships and told her of my plight with not a lot to do so I mentioned to her I might pop along to see what it is all about. She then Asked if I would like to swim in a relay team as she might have some friends that MIGHT Be looking.

Tentatively, I agreed to go and take the plunge into 1 Degree Celcius (33.8 Fahrenheit). I had never swum in water below about 8 degrees  so I figured, this could be a bit painful but hey ho, in for a penny, in for a pound.

I arrived at about 8.30am at Tooting bec Lido - one of the biggest outdoor, cold swimming pools in Europe - 91m long and 30m wide. It was already Buzzing with loads of people there and my thoughts were SEROUSLY!!! There are this many nutters out there, all dressed up as if they were at the North Pole and many of them intended on taking the plunge. I met up with some Endurance swimmers that I have met along my journey in this sport and met loads of others who are more into Wild Swimming, anywhere outdoors, lakes, cold water pools, Oceans. 

It is a championship so there is some seriousness about it but Generally it is more of a fun day. The Scheule of the day is as follows. Opened by Jo Brand, A British comedian that also swims regularly at the pool. Follwed by The individual heats comprising Men and women and youngsters who jump into the water - there is no diving and the start gun goes when all competitors shoulders are below the water - they then Race Widths 30m and hop out pretty smartly.

This was then followed by a hat parade, People taking the plunge and swimming heads up breaststroke with some pretty outrageous hats on and various other costumes - people in Union Jack mankinis, Hulk costumes, wearing proper clothes, leprechaun outfits and many others.

This is followed by the relay events, this is what I was in. Then it is the Finals of the individual heats and  all culminating in an endurance event where the seriously Hard core do 450m in temperatures of about 1.5 degrees.

I met up with my team - whom I had never met and it was made up of a 3 Wild Swimmers and an endurance swimmer - me. All teams had to be mixed sex  and the categories were below 180 and above 180. this figure was the cumulative ages of the team. We were Race number 68 so when we were called to poolside we all went in and got changed into our budgy smugglers/costumes and then went to the other end of the pool for  a briefing and then around to the other side of the pool and waited for the start. Our time came and we were in Lane 1. I was the start swimmer so you get to the lane, give all your kit to a volunteer - who kindly takes it to the other side - then jump into the pool - all shoulders below the water line and you are off. Head down, arms flailing wildly, legs kicking madly. it is not a pretty site but all you want to do is get out. I don't think I even bothered with breathing in that 30m. I had other things on my mind like HOLY CRAP THIS IS A BIT NIPPY!!
About 20 seconds later you are at the other end trying to clamber out of the cold whilst not being able to feel your hands or feet.

Honestly, was it cold? Yes - Its Nearly Freezing!! but you are only in the water for about 30 seconds maximum so there is no real time for your body to go hypothermic. By the time that your body registers that you are in cold water and your body is shutting down the extremities and pushing all the blood to the core, you are out. I stayed around to film the rest of the relay and then it was off to either the Hot Tub or sauna to get warm again.

Did it Hurt?  Yes - Its nearly Freezing!! By the time I got out My body had taken on a lovely pink colour and my hands and feet were not really part of my body as there was a lot of Pins and needles. The feeling is awesome though and when your body finally takes claim of all its bits again, you feel like a million bucks

Would I do it again?  Dam right I would, except the next time I think I will try and graduate to the big league and do the endurance race as well.I have always been aware of the joys of plunging yourself into near freezing water. Speak to any Pro athlete and I am sure they take Ice baths on a pretty regular basis. As for endurance swims, I feel much stronger and can swim much longer in the Colder water. maybe 1 degree is a bit excessive to do a marathon swim but it does make you feel great. all those aches and pains you experience in warmer waters seem to vanish in the cold.

The only downside that I can see with this whole event is that it is only every two years so will have to wait a while until the next one. In the meantime I think I need to do a load more cold water swimming as it is so refreshing.

There is quite good coverage on the UK TV

No comments: